Six Tips for Negotiating Multiple Job Offers
Two job offers? Three? How do you choose? Here’s six tips from the CAS advisers to help you decide:
- Choose your first job or internship after graduation wisely. This sets the tone for your future work.
- Create a personal and professional pros and cons list. Ask yourself questions like: Are you close to family for support if you need it? And, are you able to grow your portfolio in this position?
- Ask yourself what is your 5 year, even 10 year, overall career goal?
- Visit sites like Glassdoor.com to see reviews from employees.
- Communicate with the employer about a deadline for when they need to receive your final answer.
- Before you decide to turn down an opportunity in favor for another, be aware that declining a job offer may impact your future professionally.
Call for Entires: The Buntin Group Nashville Summer Design Internship
Calling all SCAD graphic designers—The Buntin Group wants you this summer for a design internship in Nashville.
Learn more on The Buntin Group’s Facebook page.
Deadline: April 30
Call for Entries: Ocean Exchange Sustainability Contest
For its awards competition, the Ocean Exchange seeks innovators with solutions and working prototypes that generate economic growth and increased productivity, while reducing the use of nature’s resources and waste.
The Ocean Exchange is offering two monetary awards:
1)The Gulfstream® Navigator Award of US$100,000, given to the solution that best demonstrates the greatest potential to accelerate sustainability across multiple industries. It seeks entries generating positive impact on the environment, economies or health while respecting cultures around the world.
2) The WWL Orcelle® Award 2014 of US$100,000, given to the solution that makes shipping and logistics more sustainable by advancing zero-emission marine and land-based technologies that are commercially viable.
- Contestants must register on Ocean Exchange website and complete the short prescreening application by 11:59 p.m. (GMT), May 5
- Final applications for 2014 due by 11:59 p.m. (GMT), June 6
- Top 10 solutions chosen by a global review team and invited to present at the Exchange annual event held this year in Savannah, Georgia, Oct. 5-7, with travel expenses paid
- Winners selected by board of governors and invited guests representing a cross-section of professions from industry, government, conservation, research and academia
Deadline: May 5
Learn more by visiting oceanexchange.org.
Chick-fil-A Innovation Workshop
Kiah Hall Conference Room
Tuesday, April 22nd
Open to all SCAD students, refreshments provided, limited seating..
Join Chick-fil-A Hatch Innovation masterminds:
Dwain Cox, Director Innovation and Design
Brain Grady, Sr. Director Kitchen Systems Design
Elizabeth Snively, Innovation
Hatch is Chick-fil-A’s innovation center where staff and partners ideate, explore and imagine the future. — at SCAD Collaborative Learning Center.
SCAD Students’ Work Makes Front Page of Core77
NUKE is a smartphone app and pot system cooked-up by Talia Brigneti (B.F.A., Industrial Design, 2014) and Jeff Dull (B.F.A., Industrial Design, 2014) which just found itself featured on the front page of Core77.
Eryn Carlisle (B.F.A., Graphic Design, 2009) talks with Design Juices about starting her own business Zeryndipity and credits SCAD’s Working Class Studio for helping her realize her love of surface pattern design:
I really loved Savannah. SCAD is a great school, and it pushed me to create work that I didn’t even know I was possible of creating. I got to meet and work with designers from all over the world such as Iceland, Scotland, India, Indonesia, South Korea, and the list goes on. It was an incredible experience. It was actually my last year at SCAD through an internship with Working Class Studio (a division of SCAD) that I learned how much I loved surface pattern design – and that it was even a career.